Can-Am Dancesport Gala – Information updated July 2019
Organizers: John Karakis, Brigitt Mayer, Ann Harding, Lisa MacLaggan
Location: Toronto, ON
Usual Date: 2nd Weekend in August (***new date for 2019)
Registration Deadline: Mid-July
Private Videotaping: Not permitted and a vendor is provided, but not yet listed. Cost information not available.
- Thursday Daytime – all levels Open/Closed Rhythm single, multi-dance events, and closed Scholarships
- Thursday Evening – Pro/am Open and WDSS Open Rhythm Scholarships, 9-dance Scholarship Rhythm portion, Showdance Championship
- Friday Daytime – all levels Open/Closed Smooth single, multi-dance, WDSS events and closed scholarships, all levels Open/Closed Latin single and multi-dance, WDSS events and closed scholarships
- Friday Evening – Pro/am Open Latin and Smooth Scholarships, 9-dance Scholarship Smooth portion, 10-dance Scholarship Latin portion
- Saturday Daytime – all Solos, all levels Open/Closed Standard single, multi-dance, WDSS events and closed Scholarships
- Saturday Evening – Pro/am Open Standard Scholarship, 10-dance Scholarship Standard portion
- Sunday – No pro/am events, but lectures and workshops
Cash Prizes Offered: Yes, $500-$50 for 1st-6th in Open Scholarships, and $250-$50 for 1st-6th in Closed and Senior Scholarships, with amounts paid in vouchers for 4th-6th places and cut in 1/2 for events with less than 6 participants (equivalent single dance entries required for each scholarship). Top Student awards are $100 WDSS vouchers for top 20 students and trophies awarded for top male and female in each level. $1-3 vouchers are awarded for each 1st-3rd placing. Top Teacher Awards offered with a $10,000 prize for first place.
2018 Multi-Dance Event Size Range:
|Open Bronze A||6||2||2|
|Open Silver A||1||2||2|
|Open Gold A||2||2|
|Can-Am Open 10(9)-Dance A||2||N/A|
|WDSS Open Championship A||1||2|
|Closed Bronze A||1||6||1||1|
|Closed Silver A||1||1||2||2|
|Can-Am Open A||1||3||1|
|Open 4-dance Snr 1||1||4||6|
|Open 3-dance Snr 2||1||1|
Previous Year’s Results: http://www.compmngr.com/canamgala2018/CanAmGala2018_CategoryResults.htm
Multi-Dance and Scholarship Event Information:
No heat length information is available.
- Full event VIP pass – $220 preferred seating
- Thursday full day pass – early bird $55, regular $60, with dinner $75
- Friday full day pass – early bird $65, regular $70, with dinner $75
- Saturday full day pass – early bird $65, regular $70, with champagne reception and grand banquet $215
- Sunday workshop pass – $50
Entry Fees (no 2019 information available to Pro/Am students. Prices are from 2018):
- Solo Routines (per couple) – with package $65, without $70 per event
- Single Dance Event (per couple) – with package $35, without $40 per event
- Open 3-4-Dance Event (per couple) – with package $80, without $90 per event
- Closed 3-4-Dance Scholarship Event (per couple) – with package $90, without package $110 per event
- Open Scholarship and WDSS Championship Event (per couple) – with package $105, without $125
**NOTE: Scholarships require similar number of single dance entries (eg. 3 singles for a 3-dance Scholarship). This competition charges a 3% credit card fee.
Packages are offered that include meals, VIP seating, and other extras in 2-4 day options. Hotel is not included in package, and prices are not provided to pro/am students but there are both early-bird and group discounts mentioned.
CADG includes Professional Open, Rising Star and showdance competitions spread over the 3 nights. CADG lists all Can-Am champions (including pro/am) on their website which is a nice touch. We are disappointed that this competition chooses to continue to hide pricing information from Pro/Am students but hope they will revise this antiquated policy in the future.
While we make every effort to be accurate, information is posted as a guideline only and subject to change. Please refer to the websites posted for the most up-to-date and accurate information. Our cost information are competition fees only. Keep in mind that most professionals charge their own fees in addition to these costs (as is fair for the amazing work they do). P/ADC is not responsible for the accuracy of information.